Do you know the saying, “to kill time, a meeting is the perfect weapon?” Meetings, are necessary to advance a project or organization, but how often do they feel like a waste of time?
Consider these statistics:
- 37% of employee time is spent in meetings
- Managers attend more than 60 meetings per month
- 47% consider too many meetings the biggest waste of time
- 39% of meeting participants admitted to dozing off during a meeting
- Over 70% brought other work to meetings
- It is estimated that 25-50% of meeting time is wasted
- Researchers found that the more meetings employees attended, the more exhausted they felt and the higher they perceived their workload to be
Your employees spend a lot of time in meetings and ineffective meetings can ultimately lead to billions of dollars lost each year.
There’s no surefire way to ensure a successful meeting, but having a regular or even one-time meeting facilitator is a great way to rigorously manage the meeting process. Facilitation, meaning “to make easy” or “ease a process,” allows every meeting participant, whether it’s hundreds of people or a team of ten, to walk away with an understanding of their objective or their alignment for the group and the team. It allows organizations to have an objective outsider who is aligned with you on whatever the goal is, asking the right questions, and managing the flow of meetings.